The Ecclesiastical Arms
of Reverend Nilda Lucca de Anaya, United States of America, Ordained
in 1983 by Bishop Francisco Reus Froylan, 5th Episcopal Bishop of
Puerto Rico, US. The Episcopal Church (TEC) is a member church of
the worldwide Anglican Communion.
These arms commemorate the fact that the Reverend Nilda Lucca de
Anaya is the first woman in Latin America, and one of the first in
the US, to be ordained an Episcopal Priest (Anglican). A
trailblazer, her contributions to the Episcopal Church have been
many, from leading humanitarian missions in Cuba, being President of
the ECW (Episcopal Church Women), helping the Lambeth Movement
allowing women to be ordained in the Anglican Church in England, to
serving at the prestigious National Cathedral in Washington, DC,
with many articles written about her. The holder of a Master’s
degree in Public Health (MPH), the armiger is a graduate of the
prestigious Episcopal General Theological Seminary in New York City,
founded in 1817.
The traditional design, in lieu of crest
on top of a helmet, is a black galero hat with a cord with a single
tassel at each end denoting a Priest. The cord in Gules and Sable,
represents the colours of Ponce, Puerto Rico where she was ordained.
The symbol of the Holy Spirit is shown
as an intertwined triangular knot on the cord. The shield in Azure
with a Chevron in Or.
The triquetra in Argent below the
chevron, signifies the Holy Trinity, and represents the Holy Trinity
Church in Ponce where the armiger was rector. The Church was
organized by British residents in Ponce, Puerto Rico, as an Anglican
congregation in 1869. They built their first church of wood and
metal at this site in 1873, aided by materials sent by Queen
Victoria's Government, including a bell, cast in England in 1870.
The Rampart Lion in Argent represents the city of Ponce, founded and
named after Juan Ponce de Leon in 1692 by his grandson. The Cross of
Jerusalem, also in Argent, represents the Episcopal Church.
The moto in Latin means "being first";
the armiger being the first ordained woman priest in the Episcopal
Church in Latin America, and one of the first in the United States.