This is a combination
coat of arms: the blue lion rampant with a forked tail from the Count
of Mortain was attested in France before the Conquest of Britain in
1066 and the Silver Frettes of the Earl of Eu were also issued in
France before the Conquest. The Earl commemorated his Viking ancestry
with the diamond pattern of the early Viking sails from the Gotland
area of Sweden.
Boxells held land in
the Pevensey and Hastings Rapes under both these lords just after the
Conquest together with Bugsell Manor at Salehurst in Sussex and
therefore in effect were also guarding the escape route for William
the Conqueror should it have been necessary. Boxells were required to
clear and control the Anderida (Pevensey) Forest and the Ashdown
Forest for the Kings hunting. They held Bugsell Manor for over 400
years together with divers Manors elsewhere.
Earliest reference to
Boxell/Boxall name is as Anglo Saxon Thegns in 765AD at Lindfield
Sussex. Sir Alleyne de Buxhulle (Boxell) was Constable of the Tower of
London, Lord Chamberlain of England and a Knight of the Garter under
Edward III - he bore the same arms and he also held the castle of St
Saveur le Vicompte in France during the 100 years war and was chief of
the captains under Sir Robert Knollys.