Historical American Arms

Heraldry significant to History
Kathy McClurg
AR Reg. & IHS Member

Historical American Arms

Post by Kathy McClurg » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:28 am

I've just noticed the New England Historic Genealogical Society is publishing a register of American Arms:

http://www.americanancestors.org/Product.aspx?id=27963

The description:
Founded in 1864, the Committee on Heraldry authenticates, preserves, and records coats of arms borne in the United States and by U.S.citizens living abroad. Published intermittently in the Registerbetween 1928 and 1980, the Committee's Roll of Arms includes illustrated shields presented for review by the Committee along with a description, associated family name, and name of submitter. Considering that many 17th-century immigrants to the New World bore arms, this is an important volume for anyone with early American ancestry.
Be well,
Kathy

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Forum Member

Re: Historical American Arms

Post by Jeremy Keith Hammond » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:55 pm

According to the website, it's available this month, however I was just emailing back and forth with Mr. Beckwith and he had told me it would not be ready until the end of the year.

I'm looking forward to it.

Kathy McClurg
AR Reg. & IHS Member

Post by Kathy McClurg » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:47 am

Jeremy Keith Hammond wrote:According to the website, it's available this month, however I was just emailing back and forth with Mr. Beckwith and he had told me it would not be ready until the end of the year.

I'm looking forward to it.
I ordered one book rate -- let's see either if it comes or they notify me it will be late... :wink:
Be well,
Kathy

Joseph McMillan
IHS Member

Post by Joseph McMillan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:22 pm

In the mean time, a plug for the American Heraldry Society's Roll of Early American Arms, at http://www.americanheraldry.org/pages/i ... =Main.Roll. It's fully illustrated through the letter M, partially thereafter, and includes at least the blazons of all the pre-1825 arms in the NEHGS Roll.
Joseph McMillan

Return to “Historical Heraldry”