New renditions of arms in various armorials

Heraldry significant to History
Kurt Alex

New renditions of arms in various armorials

Post by Kurt Alex » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:09 pm

Hello all,

Here is a website with a German name http://wappenwiki.org but with explanatory texts in English. The site covers a variety of topics of heraldic interest, including new renderings/renditions of the arms found in quite a few medieval armorials. Click the link at the top of the home page to access the respective subject. The maps depicted on the home page are largely eye candy. The meat is to be found under the links. Should satisfy almost anyone's need for a heraldic fix (with no needle marks). Enjoy.

Regards from South Carolina

Kurt

Attached is my heraldic memorial for the full eclipse we experienced in South Carolina this past summer
Attachments
Sonnenfinsternis.png
Sonnenfinsternis.png (23.25 KiB) Viewed 90 times

Michael F. McCartney
IHS Member

Re: New renditions of arms in various armorials

Post by Michael F. McCartney » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:59 am

I like your Eclipse design, but I'm curious re: the arrangement of the stars - not semee, not an Orle, and one star in sinister base is oddly placed. Do the stars, or at least the ones in base, represent a particular constellation?
Mike~~
Fremont, California

Kurt Alex

Post by Kurt Alex » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:02 pm

Hello Michael,

The stars are intended to be in a rather random pattern much as real stars in the sky. In this case, I think the less-used expression 'accompanied by' would be preferable to semee or the like. No particular constellation in mind. Thanks for asking, though. Do you by chance have a command of German at any level, or are you strictly English-speaking? You can let me know via PM if you prefer.

Regards from SC
Kurt

P.S. It was also accepted at the German-language Heraldik-Wiki website for heraldic interpretations of an eclipse

https://heraldik-wiki.de/wiki/Sonnenfin ... (Heraldik)

Michael F. McCartney
IHS Member

Post by Michael F. McCartney » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:16 am

Ah - thanks!
Very little German, just a few words here & there. Fair Spanish, but rusty; some French & Portuguese if the words are similar to Spanish. Other than that, English...
Mike~~
Fremont, California

Return to “Historical Heraldry”