Bookplate use today

Personal and collectable Ex Libris
Kimon Andreou
AR Reg. & IHS Member

Bookplate use today

Post by Kimon Andreou » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:52 am

So, I have a few of bookplates made of my arms, both physical and digital. However, I haven't any yet for any books.

This may be a silly question but, how do you use your bookplates today? Do you print them on Avery type stickers or do you use some special process?

I have been considering getting a custom rubber stamp to use.

J Duncan of Sketraw
Site Admin

Re: Bookplate use today

Post by J Duncan of Sketraw » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:13 am

Kimon, I did exactly what you said, used the AVERY sticker program to create stickers if you want something bigger print them out and paste them in. That's how they used to do them. I am sure Peter Harling will tell you better being a collector of bookplates.
Slaintè
John A. Duncan of Sketraw

The Armorial Register - International Register of Arms
http://www.armorial-register.com

Kimon Andreou
AR Reg. & IHS Member

Post by Kimon Andreou » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:37 am

So, I've done two things:
I've ordered a rubber stamp for simple stamping of books and a full on, old-fashioned stick on bookplate on acid free paper for my "premium" books.

Peter Harling
AR Reg. & IHS Member

Post by Peter Harling » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:03 am

Kimon ..... For general bookplate printing, eg exchanges, none premium books etc. The use of a 'home' printer is ideal. Sticky backed A4 sheets (peel off and stick down type), are the way to go. The glue used in manufacture of these sheets is acid free now, unlike when first introduced.

Even the use of sticky back paper and home printer is quite suitable for Quality printing, provided the printer can scan the artwork to an acceptable degree! Usually home printers lack the scanning capability for fine detail coloured artwork.

Really a black and white line drawing produced on decent sized artwork, even of fine line, should pick up OK on the average home printer and will result in a top class bookplate.

Your problem Kimon, if I remember correctly is that Ljubodrag's very fine coloured artwork is not reproducing to the required standard when printed on home computer. Really it's a scanning problem! Your disc needs to be take to a professional printer, who has a far superior scanner and can also print out copies for you.

Further details can be seen on my website at htt://armorialbookplatesmodern.weebly.com

Kimon Andreou
AR Reg. & IHS Member

Post by Kimon Andreou » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Thank you Peter

I agree that Ljubodrag has some very fine detail in my bookplate but the benefit of it being digital art is that scanning is not an issue. I requested Ljubodrag to send me a high resolution copy of the image and that is what I had printed. I went with a bookplate professional who cut the bookplate to the appropriate size and printed them on archival paper with appropriate glue.

I considered black & white but felt that the color one was better.

Peter Harling
AR Reg. & IHS Member

Post by Peter Harling » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:47 am

Brilliant Kimon. Yes with high resolution art work (in colour), and professionally printed! You could not better that.
Regards ........ Peter

Return to “Heraldic Bookplates”