Hervey Walter and Ranulf de Glanville

An area to assist, or give, design guidance to prospective armigers.
Peter Butler

Hervey Walter and Ranulf de Glanville

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:51 pm

I am researching Hervey Walter and have noticed the similarity between Hervey’s Coat of Arms and Ranulf de Glanville’s, a chief indented azure, they were certainly brothers in law having married the Valoine sisters but I am beginning to suspect there may be a blood relationship between them. I am wondering if the Coat of Arms can shine any light on their family relationship, I am not so overburdened with clues that I can avoid to overlook any clue, however unlikely it might be.

I believe this link to provide an accurate representation of Ranulf De Glanville's arms
http://www.lancastercastle.com/heraldry ... justiciar/

I am less certain of this image, Theobald Walter is Hervey Walters Grandson.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobald_ ... of_Ireland

I read that the number of points on the indent signified a Oldest son of and Oldest son, is this correct and was it widely used?
What, if any, is the significance of the two metal colours on the lower half.
Where would I be able to find the earliest record of these two Coat of Arms.

Thomas Carte in his book "A History of the Life of James Duke of Ormond" states that Ranulf De Glanville based his Coat of Arms on Hervey Walter's, how could Carte possibly know this? I suspect Carte fully appreciated who had commissioned the book and wrote it accordingly.

Any guidance and information will be most welcome.
Last edited by Peter Butler on Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael F. McCartney
IHS Member

Re: Hervey Walter and Ranulf de Glanville

Post by Michael F. McCartney » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:10 am

While quite similar, these are two distinct coats of arms because of the different tinctures of the field (though of course they may be related.). I doubt the number of points have any particular meaning.

Others may know.more...
Mike~~
Fremont, California

Peter Butler

Re: Hervey Walter and Ranulf de Glanville

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:40 pm

Would Hervey Walter’s grandson Hubert Fitz Walter have had his own coat of arms he was Bishop of Salisbury and later Archbishop of Canterbury 1193 -1205. Can anyone point me in the direction of a document, book or site where I might be able to research this?

Return to “Heraldic Design”