International Registration

Discussions regarding the International Armorial Register
Captain Hellenthal

International Registration

Post by Captain Hellenthal » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:18 pm

Good Day Dear All,

My name is Bjoern Hellenthal and I'm a Captain on
a worldwide trading fright ship.
I'm a german citizens, my family has a family crest.

The crest is approved and entered to the national register called ADW (Allgemeine Deutsche Wappenrolle)
I am in possession of a so called Wappenbrief, sorry, I have no idea how it is called in english.

My question now is, how to proceed with the rgister here at the Armorial- International Register of Arms?

All my Documents are in german, and I'm not sure if I can just translate everything via google.
My english is actually quite good, but I'm not sure about all those specific words within the Blazon and other "technical terms".

As I'm moving all around the world, and I'm living in Brasil, I want the crest to be registered internationally,
in order to have some more and better protection/ documentation/ evidence/ and publication.
Whatsoever.

I hope to get some support and help here at the forum.
I am looking forward to some interesting communication as well, I am always highly interested in learning bew things.

Sincerely
Capt. B.Hellenthal

J Duncan of Sketraw
Site Admin

Re: International Registration

Post by J Duncan of Sketraw » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:52 pm

The first thing is to recognise that it is NOT a family crest but a coat of arms or full achievement of arms. The crest, in your particular case, is the globe above the helm.

The first thing to do would be to fill in the registration form as best you can at http://www.armorial-register.com/form1.html and get the procedure of registration on the road. After completion of the form you will go to the next step of uploading the image of your arms, then finally you will be taken to the payments page.

Once this is done we can then work at getting the best blazon (your arms in heraldic terminology) of your arms and the text you require to accompany the entry.
Slaintè
John A. Duncan of Sketraw

The Armorial Register - International Register of Arms
http://www.armorial-register.com

Captain Hellenthal

Post by Captain Hellenthal » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:01 pm

Good Day Dear Sir,

many thanks for the information.
Still have to learn all those specific wordings.

Anyway, as the coat of arms has been registered locally in germany already, maybe it can be of some help.

It has been approved and registered at the Wappen-Herold which is part of the Deutsche Heraldische Gesellschaft e.V.
and published in the Allgemeine Deutsche Wappenrolle on 28th of June in 2015 under the number 15133

The documentation has been archived by PRO HERALDICA, Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Heraldik und Genealogie mbH
at 26.05.2014 under Archive No. 49771, described and emblazoned.

I've put the Blazon in Google translator, and after some small correction the folling came out :

-----------------------
In black a, at the navel-point bar-wise joined
golden double flank, in between above
five little silver stars in the formation of the constellation
Southern Cross, below a golden-black
faceted wind rose.
On the helmet with black and golden covers a golden
Globe with black continents.
------------------------

Is that somehow usable for the registration at the Armorial Register?

Many thanks in advance for any advise, highly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Capt. B.Hellenthal

Michael F. McCartney
IHS Member

Post by Michael F. McCartney » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:01 am

Difficult to make out parts of the blazon - Google translator has, shall we say, some limitations ...but as best I can tell, sounds like an attractive design.

I'm sure there are some here who could read the original German blazon, and translate it into English blazon, if you could post it here.
Mike~~
Fremont, California

Captain Hellenthal

Post by Captain Hellenthal » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:14 am

Hi Mike,

That's a good idea. Will do.

I guess that an entry in the german Wappenrolle is equivalent to a registration here. Only difference is that it is locally and therefore limited to Germany only.

But what exactly is a "grant" or "granted by aurhorities",
What does it mean and what is it good for?

Best regards,
Bjoern

Captain Hellenthal

Blazon translation

Post by Captain Hellenthal » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:30 am

Good Day Dear All,

My name is Bjoern Hellenthal, I'm german.
My family has a coat of arms, and I would like to register it internationally here at the Armorial-Register.
I want this because I am traveling a lot all over the world, because I'm a Captain. Additionally I'm living in Brasil, and me and my wife want to use the coat of arms, so we need a bit better protection/ documentation / publications for it.

As all my existing documents are in german language, I would like to ask if anybody could translate the Blazon for me into a proper heraldic english.

The german Balzon sounds as follows:

In schwarz eine an der Nabelstelle balkenweise verbundene goldene Doppelflanke, dazwischen oben fünf silberne Sterne in Formation des Sternbildes Kreuz des Südens, unten eine golden-schwarz facettierte Windrose.

Auf dem Helm mit schwarz-goldenen Decken ein goldener Globus mit schwarzen Kontinenten.

Any help to translate would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Björn

J Duncan of Sketraw
Site Admin

Post by J Duncan of Sketraw » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:20 am

A grant of arms confers a new right and a confirmation of arms confirms an existing right. There are few granting authorities left; England, Scotland, Canada, Ireland. There are also government registration authorities such as South Africa and the cronista of Spain? (some confusion there) a good place to have a look is on The American Heraldry Society they have put together a reasonable list of those who Grant & Register arms see - https://bit.ly/2Iu5my6.
Slaintè
John A. Duncan of Sketraw

The Armorial Register - International Register of Arms

Captain Hellenthal

Post by Captain Hellenthal » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:12 pm

Good Day Dear Sir,

Many thanks for the explanation and the link.
Very helpful indeed.

Sincerely,
Capt. B.Hellenthal

Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

Post by Martin Goldstraw » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:56 am

I notice that you have also posted this on the FB page Heraldic Round Table. Here is my reply which is also on the appropriate FB page awaiting comment:

Here is my stab at it to get the ball rolling. it is pity that the black center is not of equal width so that the blazon could start "tierced per pale" however, working with what I see here goes: Arms: Sable, a bar (or it could be a barrulet) abaised joining double flanks Or in chief five mullets formed into the constellation of the Southern Cross Argent and in base a wind-rose Or faceted Sable. Crest: A terrestrial globe the continents Sable the seas Or.

I would be happy to be advised of any suggested tweaks.
Martin Goldstraw

----------
The Armorial Register

Captain Hellenthal

Post by Captain Hellenthal » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:39 pm

I have tried to find out about any rules concetning the fixation of the crest to the helmet, but it is not very clearly stated in german heraldic rules. It just says that it must be sufficently be fixed, and it may not be "hovering above the helmet".
The covering of any fixation by those "bands" , sorry don't know the proper heraldic word in english, is not mandatory according to german rules.
Anyway, I have tried how it would look withit, so I did some "alteration" myself. I know it's not very professional. Hope to find somebody who can dobthat better for me.

I put a picture on the round table at FB

Return to “The Armorial Register”