German Imperial Ring

Heraldry not covered in the forum topics
Joseph M James

German Imperial Ring

Post by Joseph M James » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:05 pm

I found this in the bottom of a box of stuff that belonged to my mother. It was almost black. I cleaned it with a tooth brush and tooth paste. I just have to find out which era it represents.
Attachments
ring3.jpg
ring3.jpg (36.19 KiB) Viewed 2362 times

Chris Green
AR Reg. & IHS Member

Re: German Imperial Ring

Post by Chris Green » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:28 pm

My immediate thought is that it was made from a coin, by carefully cutting away the "field" on which the eagle sat. If so that would make it likely to have been the work of a soldier (or sailor) during WW1. I used to own a couple of planes made from English farthings, but they were WW2 vintage.

Have a look for images of German coins from WW1 and earlier. The eagle would I suppose be on the reverse side.
Chris Green
President of the International Association of Amateur Heralds

http://amateurheralds.com/

Joseph M James

Re: German Imperial Ring

Post by Joseph M James » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:46 am

hohenzollern arms 5.JPG
hohenzollern arms 5.JPG (79.56 KiB) Viewed 2345 times
Mr. Green you were spot on. I took the ring to a jeweler today and he agreed with you. Under intense magnification I was able to make out details. It is the imperial arms of Hohenzollern and of course Germany. The shape of the shield gave me the time period. This shape was only used by the Hohenzollerns between 1871 through approx. 1875. Before 1871 and after 1875 the shape changed, though on coinage the engraving on my ring was used until approx. 1890. My mother's twin uncles were both in the German military in WWI, so one of them could have made it. The jeweler told me if I could find a clearer image he would be glad to enhance the engraving on the ring for a "reasonable' fee, since in his opinion the ring had little monetary value. I'm thinking about it. Thanks for your input.
Joseph M James

Return to “Other Heraldry”