Who granted the arms?

Heraldry not covered in the forum topics
Joseph M James

Who granted the arms?

Post by Joseph M James » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:38 am

In researching German heraldry I noticed that the Emperors of the Holy Roman Empire at times deferred the granting of arms to whomever controlled certain areas (ie. Duke of Saxony or Bavaria etc. who it appears were called Princes as well as being called Dukes ), but only in their respective areas. Has this ever occurred in Great Britain and yes I'm including Scotland Mr. Goldstraw. My father's family arrived in Virginia around 1700 and moved south and west as far as Alabama before the Civil War and considering how many Scots settled the south I'm almost certain I have a little Scot in me. It just takes time and money to prove it. Thanks in advance, Joseph M James

Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

Re: Who granted the arms?

Post by Martin Goldstraw » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:12 am

In the UK (Scotland and the rest) in the beginning great nobles simply assumed their own arms. It was only later that a regulatory process began and the two heraldic authorities came into being. If you really want to learn about the origins of heraldry in the UK then I could suggest a number of books.

If you wish to learn about Scottish heraldry in particular, THE authoritative book is deemed to be “Heraldry in Scotland: including a recension of 'The law and practice of heraldry in Scotland' by the late George Seton. ", by Stevenson, J. H. (John Horne), 1855-1939, Seton, George, 1822-1908. First published in 1914,

http://armorial-register.com/heraldry-scotland.html
Martin Goldstraw

----------
The Armorial Register
http://www.armorial-register.com

Joseph M James

Post by Joseph M James » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:27 pm

I seem to remember reading who was King when the College of Arms was instituted and I imagine that coincided with the 1st. visitations. I read so much I can't keep it all straight. That's why I like this forum, someone can present a question and get an answer that is short and to the point. That appeals to a lazy person like me. Some books just drone on and on before getting to what is relevant, kinda like what I'm doing right now. With that said, please suggest some books, I'd love to check them out. Also my daughter reminded me that my great grandmother on my father's side was a McNeese, so that might be my Scottish connection. Thank you J M James

Chris Green
AR Reg. & IHS Member

Post by Chris Green » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:33 pm

Chris Green
President of the International Association of Amateur Heralds

http://amateurheralds.com/

Return to “Other Heraldry”