AN INDEX TO THE PEDIGREES AND ARMS

Heraldry not covered in the forum topics
Joseph M James

AN INDEX TO THE PEDIGREES AND ARMS

Post by Joseph M James » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:18 pm

I just found AN INDEX TO THE PEDIGREES AND ARMS CONTAINED IN THE HERALD'S VISITATIONS, AND OTHER GENEALOGICAL MANUSCRIPTS IN THE BRITISH MUSEUM, by R.SIMS 1846. Does anyone have an opinion on this work? If anyone is familiar with this maybe you could help me understand the notations in it. EXAMPLE: After a name it has a number which I do understand, it pertains to the particular county vol. Then after that some will have FO. or FF. What do they mean? Also after that it will have what I imagine is a page number and some of these are followed by an A. or a B., sometimes both. What do they mean? THANKS in advance for any response. Joseph M (Joe) James, downtown BUCKINGHAM,FL. ( interesting eh, I'm interested in British heraldry and I actually live in an area called Buckingham). ( They trained British airman and gunners here during WWII).

Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

Re: AN INDEX TO THE PEDIGREES AND ARMS

Post by Martin Goldstraw » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:10 pm

The number refers to the manuscript number in the Harleian Collection unless otherwise stated when they could be referenced as Cotton, Lansdowne, Egerton etc. Names printed in italics refer to coats of arms only. so, if the index states Abbis 1390 fo. 32 it means that the coat of arms of Abbis (coat of arms only as it is in italics) is referenced in Manuscript 1390 at folio (page) 32.
Martin Goldstraw

----------
The Armorial Register
http://www.armorial-register.com

Return to “Other Heraldry”