Help required !

Heraldry not covered in the forum topics
Grant R Newell

Help required !

Post by Grant R Newell » Wed May 23, 2012 12:33 pm

I am currently researching my family history and have to date discovered an number of Coats of Arms ascribed to the name Newell or the French medieval version of the same .

I am not familiar with the terminology, therefore I would be extremely grateful if anyone could provide me with an illustration of the following ;

Newell Coats of Arms

1. ‘Gu. Two hautboys in saltire, the sinister surmounted of the dexter betw. four crosses crosslet, all or.’

Ref.’The General Armory of England,Scotland,Ireland and Wales’; Sir Bernard Burke;1884 Oxford University Press

Robert de Nuelle ; c1241 ‘de argent a deus bastuns de gules besante or’
‘d’argent a deux bastions de gules besante d’or’

Ref. Glover’s Roll. St.George’s Version, copy a (Ba) and copy b . ‘Eight Thirteenth – Century Rolls of Arms in French and Anglo- Norman Blazon’; Gerard J Blair . The Pennsylvania State University Press University Park and London..

Any help would be most welcome !

Many Thanks

Steven Harris

Re: Help required !

Post by Steven Harris » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:31 pm

Grant R Newell wrote:‘Gu. Two hautboys in saltire, the sinister surmounted of the dexter betw. four crosses crosslet, all or.’
This would be a red shield with two gold-colored oboes (the musical instrument) crossed in an X-shape. In each of the four "sections" created by oboes there is a gold cross like the one below.

Steven A. Harris
Massachusetts, United States

Return to “Other Heraldry”