Motto - Fleiss und Wille

Heraldry not covered in the forum topics
Frances Miller

Motto - Fleiss und Wille

Post by Frances Miller » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:14 am

Does anyone recognise the motto "Fleiss und Wille" and the crest with a tall tower? Possibly from Vienna or elsewhere in the Austro-Hungarian Empire around 1900. I have seen it on several antique items including a pocket watch and a silver matchholder. The motto translates (I think) as "Industry and Spirit" or "Hard Work and (strong) Will". Ideas and suggestions of where to look for information would be welcome. Thank you.
Frances
Attachments
Fleiss und Wille.jpg
Fleiss und Wille.jpg (79.79 KiB) Viewed 1471 times

Chris Green
AR Reg. & IHS Member

Re: Motto - Fleiss und Wille

Post by Chris Green » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:04 am

My German is virtually nil, but a quick google suggests to me that "Fleiss und Wille" is a common term in German which in English might be rendered as "Hard Work and Dedication" and widely used on trophies and presents given to people in recognition of having done their bit for their team/company. Why it is used as a motto on something resembling a belt or garter surrounding a CoA which also has an order of chivalry depending from it and a crown above is a mystery.
Last edited by Chris Green on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Green
President of the International Association of Amateur Heralds

http://amateurheralds.com/

Frances Miller

Post by Frances Miller » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:22 am

Thanks Chris. The items I have seen could well have been presented for hard work or long service so that makes sense. Maybe the motto bears no relation to the CoA which is possibly a civic crest. I have seen the watchtower element used in the arms of a town in present day Slovakia which is why I think Austro Hungary is the region it comes from. Regards Frances

Chris Green
AR Reg. & IHS Member

Post by Chris Green » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:51 am

Is it possible to provide a clearer image of the Order of Chivalry beneath the buckle? That might make it easier to work out which country is involved. Sadly there are endless communities whose CoA includes a tower. I couldn't find any Slovak towns that fitted the bill though.
Chris Green
President of the International Association of Amateur Heralds

http://amateurheralds.com/

Frances Miller

Post by Frances Miller » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:08 pm

Sorry, this is the best image I have and it is not my photograph. It shows the convex surface of a pocket watch which is why the image is not so clear at the edges. Was confusing Slovenia with Slovakia and, having looked again at the arms for the town of Brda, Slovakia, see that the tower is not at all similar. Thanks for your time and interest, Frances

Howard Sandys

Post by Howard Sandys » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:31 pm

Frances

The Crest you have is from an Austrian 19/20th Century entrepreneur named Mautner De Markhof. If was granted in the 1890's. They were in the Yeast and Brewery business and the company was quite large. It may have been sold or still may be in business. I have a wristwatch given , I think, as a 25 year award in 1953(1928-1953) and it has the same crest. Also enclosed is an image of the crest.
Howard Sandys
Attachments
Fleiss Und Wille.jpg
Fleiss Und Wille.jpg (9.14 KiB) Viewed 283 times
DSC01749.JPG
DSC01749.JPG (150.07 KiB) Viewed 283 times

Return to “Other Heraldry”