Solberg-Bell arms on a 9# heater shield

Heraldry in Arms and Armour
Douglas Solberg-Bell

Solberg-Bell arms on a 9# heater shield

Post by Douglas Solberg-Bell » Wed May 28, 2014 10:56 pm

Good day, all. Just thought I'd share this picture of my newly-completed curved heater shield. As with all arms and armor on display in my Great Hall, this item is ready to be taken from the wall and used for its intended purpose.

The shield was purchased from Windrose Armoury, of Snowflake, Arizona. This is Windrose's #11 Premium Heater Shield, made from 7075 T-6 Aircraft Aluminum of .090 inch thickness. I opted to have Windrose affix canvas for me, and strap and grip generous enough to permit plate vambrace and gauntlet. Weight is approximately 9#, and the dimensions are approximately 24" x 30".

The canvas was prepared in much the same way as one prepares canvas for conventional paintings--the priming agent is gesso heated in a double-burner, which is applied in several coats, each perpendicular to the last. After the arms were reproduced on the shield in acrylic paints, the whole was sprayed with a dull-coat sealant for protection. I was disappointed that the blue came out so dark as to appear black in many lights, but on balance I'm pleased.

Douglas Solberg-Bell
Attachments
Heater shield_Solberg-Bell arms.jpg
Heater shield_Solberg-Bell arms.jpg (74.22 KiB) Viewed 5922 times

J Duncan of Sketraw
Site Admin

Re: Solberg-Bell arms on a 9# heater shield

Post by J Duncan of Sketraw » Thu May 29, 2014 4:45 pm

Certainly looks the part Douglas and very nice :)
Slaintè
John A. Duncan of Sketraw

The Armorial Register - International Register of Arms
http://www.armorial-register.com

Return to “Arms and Armour”