Heraldic Memorials in Churches

The use of Heraldry in Funerals

Stephen J F Plowman
AR Registered

Heraldic Memorials in Churches

Post by Stephen J F Plowman » Thu May 04, 2006 2:51 pm

Whilst not strictly hatchments, I have taken a few photographs of memorials in churches with heraldic devices:

Portsmouth Anglican Cathedral

St Michael's Church, Basingstoke

Greywell Parish Church

I will, in time, add them to my online armorial.
Yours aye

Stephen

[img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/plowmans/HSS/603922273442cf421dd14c.gif[/img]
www.heraldry-online.org.uk

C Ross of Biggar

Post by C Ross of Biggar » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:55 am

Great work! THere ought to be a complete record of such memorials from every church in the land. The question is, is there anyone who could coordinate such a project? How could this be achieved? I went searching for a church which I had known in my childhood, within which there was, so I had been told, a stained glass window with the arms of my great-grandfather (as a child I may have peeped through a window and seen it). The church was no longer there - and the graveyard had been levelled except for a small number of private plots, one of which was ours.
Kind regards
Charles Ross of Biggar

Stephen J F Plowman
AR Registered

Post by Stephen J F Plowman » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:59 pm

There has been a recording of the Hatchments of Britain in 11 volumes.

I first became aware of it when I visited Elvetham House to take pictures of the heraldry there. The manager gave me copies of some note & letters from when the researchers visited.
Yours aye

Stephen

[img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/plowmans/HSS/603922273442cf421dd14c.gif[/img]
www.heraldry-online.org.uk

C Ross of Biggar

Post by C Ross of Biggar » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:19 am

Stephen,
Is "Hatchments of Britain" purely hatchments or are all heraldic M.I's included?
Kind regards
Charles Ross of Biggar

Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

Post by Martin Goldstraw » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:59 pm

The series Hatchments of Britain features the location and blazon (sadly few images) of all known hatchments, even those which have at some point in history been recorded but have now sadly disappeared.

From my own, Cheshire, perspective, the series is slightly disappointing as the Cheshire edition ignores entirely the "memorial panels" of Randle Holmes which serve the same purpose as hatchments but are not called such as they are rectangular in shape.

There are four generations of men of the same family bearing the name Randle Holme.

Randle (Randulph) Holme, I, (1571-1655) was sheriff of Cheshire and reputed deputy to the College of Arms for Cheshire, Shropshire and North Wales in 1615-1616, and was Mayor of Chester between 1633-1634. He is recorded as a painter (probably an heraldic painter) in the Stationers Company in Chester.

Randle Holme, II, was sheriff during his father's term as mayor 1633-1634, and a royalist Alderman of Chester during the Civil War siege from 1643-1645.

Randle Holme, III (1627-1699), wrote and illustrated the most comprehensive encyclopedia of everyday life of the English 17th century we have today entitled: The academy of armory, or, A storehouse of armory and blazon microform : containing the several variety of created beings, and how born in coats of arms, both foreign and domestick (sic) : with the instruments used in all trades and sciences, together with their terms of art : also the etymologies, definitions, and historical observations on the same, explicated and explained according to our modern language : very usefel (sic) for all gentlemen, scholars, divines, and all such as desire any knowledge in arts and sciences /by Randle Holme .
.. (Chester: Printed for the author, 1688):

There is available a work called Living and Working in 17th Century England: An Encyclopedia of Drawings and Descriptions from Randle Holme's original manuscripts for "The Academy of Armory" (1688). CD-ROM (The British Library, 2001).

PS I am in search of the book entitled The Holme Riddles (MS. Harl. 1960)
Frederick Tupper, Jr. - if you find one, please let me know :)
Martin Goldstraw

----------
The Armorial Register
http://www.armorial-register.com

Return to “Hatchments”