Hatchments - Old Basing, Hants

The use of Heraldry in Funerals

Stephen J F Plowman
AR Registered

Hatchments - Old Basing, Hants

Post by Stephen J F Plowman » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:23 pm

On Easter Monday I took my children to Old Basing to see the Sealed Knot re-enact part of the Siege of Basing House . However, before the gates opened I managed a very quick visit to the Church to snap a few photographs of the hatchments and monuments. An online slide show can be viewed at:

St Mary's Church, Old Basing

I have not had time to look at the Arms in any detail – the majority relate to the Paulet family (Marquis of Winchester) who owned Basing House. If time permits I will add details - unless others can readily file in my blanks.
Yours aye

Stephen

[img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/plowmans/HSS/603922273442cf421dd14c.gif[/img]
www.heraldry-online.org.uk

Stephen J F Plowman
AR Registered

Post by Stephen J F Plowman » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:51 pm

An update on the Arms in Old Basing Church – my thanks to George Lucki.

basing01.jpg - Charles, 5th Duke of Bolton, KB, Ld. Lt. Hampshire, d. unm. 5 July 1765

basing02.jpg - Thomas, 1st Baron Bolton s. of John Order of Morpeth d. 1807 who m. 1778 Jean Mary Powlett the nat. dau. of Charles 5th Duke of Bolton who assumed the additional name and arms of Powlett - hatchment also later used for his widow d. 1814

basing03.jpg - for William, 2nd Baron Bolton, 1850

basing05.jpr – Dexter, Apletree quartered with Russell. Sinister, Quarterly, 1 and 4, Sable, on a bend argent three lozenges gules, each charged with a plate.( for Shipperdson?) 2. Argent, a lion rampant azure. 3. Azure, six annulets or, 3, 2, and 1.(for Musgrave?)
From Pallot's Marriage Index for England: 1780 – 1837 has a Wm Apletree marrying a Frances Shipperdson in 1804.

basing06.jpg – for Anne Mary Burley, Wife of William. Burley, of Montagu Square, London, Esq. and second daughter of William Apletree, of Goldings, in the county of Southampton, Esq. Departed this life the 22d September 1831, aged 23 years
Yours aye

Stephen

[img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/plowmans/HSS/603922273442cf421dd14c.gif[/img]
www.heraldry-online.org.uk

J Duncan of Sketraw
Site Admin

Post by J Duncan of Sketraw » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:16 am

Was there not a recent 'Time Team' excavation Basing House I am sure it was all about the seige.

Although Hatchments are used in the UK to commemorate the passing of an armiger, is their a similar custom in the rest of Europe?
Slaintè
John A. Duncan of Sketraw

The Armorial Register - International Register of Arms
http://www.armorial-register.com

Return to “Hatchments”