Lady Fetherston(haugh)?

The use of Heraldry in Funerals

Stephen J F Plowman
AR Registered

Lady Fetherston(haugh)?

Post by Stephen J F Plowman » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:31 pm

Yesterday I visited the village of South Harting, West Sussex. There were two hatchments that appear to be for a husband & wife. The husband is a Fetherstone but I cannot identify the wife's Arms.

Sir ? Fetherstone Bt;

Lady Fetherstone;

From the condition of the hatchments I would guess they were for Sir Thomas Fetherston, 5th Bt (d.1869), and his wife Sarah Alcock (d.1872). However, none of the Arms for Alcock in the BGA seem to be even close.

Any ideas?
Yours aye

Stephen

[img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/plowmans/HSS/603922273442cf421dd14c.gif[/img]
www.heraldry-online.org.uk

Stephen J F Plowman
AR Registered

Post by Stephen J F Plowman » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:35 am

Thanks to Joseph McMillan locating an entry in the Sussex Archaeological Collections, vol LXXV (1934) wherein it has the following details;

"Fetherstonhaugh impaling: Ermine fretty azure and on a fess engrailed azure three roses argent. Bullock. MILLAND."

At bit more delving brought up;
Sir Henry Fetherstonhaugh married Mary Ann Bullock at Harting 12th September 1825. She was his dairy maid aged about 21 and Sir Henry was 70. The 1841 & 1851 Censuses have a Frances Bullock, a sister, living at Uppark House. The NT website says the estate was left to Lady Fetherstonhaugh’s unmarried sister.

The Harleian Society’s “Grantees of Arms” has;

Bullock, Mary Ann, widow of Sir Henry FETHERSONHAUGH, Bart. (who died s.p. 1846), 18.., Vol.XLIX, fol….”
Yours aye

Stephen

[img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/plowmans/HSS/603922273442cf421dd14c.gif[/img]
www.heraldry-online.org.uk

Return to “Hatchments”