John A. Duncan of Sketraw

Slaintè

The Armorial Register - International Register of Arms
http://www.armorial-register.com

Chap
AR Registered

Post by Chap » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:33 am

Excuse my ignorance but what is the bookplates for, how and when is it use? :oops:
Loren G. Chapulin

J Duncan of Sketraw
Site Admin

Post by J Duncan of Sketraw » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:06 am

Excuse my ignorance but what is the bookplates for, how and when is it use
As you can imagine in the past books were an expensive commodity and owners of books would either paste in, or have bookplate engraved into the inner cover to show proof of ownership. This practice was not just restricted to just armigers, nobles and peers (although there are a few very keen collectors of heraldic bookplates) but to those who would try to secure their ownership of their books.

For many heraldic artists the bookplate was another way for them to have artistic license incorporating the armigers arms into various forms other than just armorial bearings.

Today many people still mark their books in this way, not so much to prove their ownership but to have a genealogical record of who owned the book before (one of my own books has three heraldic bookplates of different owners) and gives the book further interest as to its history of ownership.

Other ways people use bookplates today is on envelopes, headed paper, business cards and other paper based products.

Please see;

http://www.heraldry-scotland.co.uk/Succ ... sp?galid=1
Slaintè

Guye Pennington
AR Registered

Armorial stamps

Post by Guye Pennington » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:31 pm

Beautiful bookplates!
If you will forgive a shameless plug, a modern twist (a.k.a. less expensive) on bookplates are heraldic stamps. These serve the same purpose and look quite nice inside the front cover of one's library treasures.
I own a small side company called Royal Heirlooms, LLC, and I have a supplier for heraldic stamps. As my main product line has not been finished yet, my website is not yet up, but my heraldic stamp line is fully functional. If you have an interest in a custom stamp of up to 4" inches by 4" inches of your armorial achievement, please shoot me a private e-mail. Cost is about U.S. $65 (around 35 pounds) plus shipping for a 4" by 4" inch custom stamp, but smaller ones are considerably less expensive (but they don't pick up the details of larger stamps). Your satisfaction is guaranteed. If interested, send me an e-mail and I will send you some information.
Sorry again for the shameless plug, and please pull this post if it is considered too commercial.
Respectfully yours,
Guye
Guye W. Pennington
"Victory without honor is defeat."

Chap
AR Registered

Post by Chap » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:53 pm

I do appreciate the education, Thanks, me thinks I want one!
Loren G. Chapulin

J Duncan of Sketraw
Site Admin

Post by J Duncan of Sketraw » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:21 am

Guye go for it whats the web address..... or can we see a few examples
Slaintè

Guye Pennington
AR Registered

Armorial custom stamps

Post by Guye Pennington » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:47 am

Greetings, all! Per your request, here is more of the shameless plug:

The website is www.royalheirlooms.com , and I have built the website but it is not live as my main product line is not finished (customized giclee art wherein clients send my firm their arms (emblazons preferred over blazons) and my artists integrate their arms into a series of striking medieval battle scenes). I plan to offer the art on both American and English scale paintings (2" foot by 3" foot or 3" foot by 4" foot for Americans and as yet underdetermined metric scale for United Kingdom/European requests). The goal is for the client to receive a very striking large piece of art which highly resembles a customized oil painting with his arms displayed prominently in the piece (there are special inks being used in the giclee to resemble oil work). I am very encouraged by the initial tests but yet I am reluctant to offer this to the public until I am completely satisfied with the result (I am rather picky in this area).
But my heraldic stamps are ready to go. Here is some info straight from my future website:

Heraldic Stamps

The intrinsic beauty of our custom armorial achievement stamps may be displayed on many items: envelopes, stationery, important documents, books, and related items. To obtain a 2 ” by 2 ” inch, 4" by 4" inch, or custom-sized heraldic stamp, send us a black-and-white line drawing of your full armorial achievement as well as any language you wish the stamp to contain. In general, the more ornate the line drawing of your arms, the higher the likelihood you will be satisfied with the final result. For example, say the Viscount Mulcastre* (a completely fictional character) wished to obtain a customized stamp for his book collection, so he relayed a line drawing of his armorial achievement* (a completely fictional armorial achievement):

Burke's Armorial Register, there is a picture here but for the life of me I can't figure out how to insert it into this forum. Can anyone help me?

Please note that the black-and-white drawing you send us must be at least as large as the size of stamp you wish, else you will likely be dissatisfied with the results. Back to Viscount Mulcastre's request, say he additionally requested the stamp read, “Ex Libris Viscount Mulcastre”.

Upon receipt of this, we would prepare the following custom stamp:

Please note that by changing these images into JPEGs, some of the fine detail has been lost. This is why I offer a money-back guarantee (including shipping costs) on heraldic stamps, as one cannot fully appreciate the stamps by looking at these images.

Prices: $65 plus shipping for a 4” by 4” customized rubber stamp. Please add $7 if you wish to have a royal red, blue, or black ink container to accompany the stamp.

$45 plus shipping for a 2" by 2" customized rubber stamp; please add $7 if you wish to include an ink container (please specify red, blue, or black).

Custom stamp sizes are also available – for a customized size, please contact us for a quote.

*The Viscount Mulcastre and the armorial achievement are fictional and for demonstration purposes only.

I will privately e-mail Chap the images, but if anyone can help me post these images, I would really appreciate it. The images are JPEGs.

Respectfully yours,
Guye
Last edited by Guye Pennington on Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guye W. Pennington

J Duncan of Sketraw
Site Admin

Post by J Duncan of Sketraw » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:59 am

Guye,

You have your own web space create a folder in it and upload your images to it then just use the URL between the in the post just don't make the images to wide up to 400 pixels max (about 5in's)

example:

{img}http://www.royalheirlooms.com/your_fold ... e.jpg{/img}

and hey presto its on the forum although it has to be square brackets.
Slaintè

Guye Pennington
AR Registered

Heraldic Art

Post by Guye Pennington » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:10 am

Thank you, John! I am attempting to perform this, but I find my technological prowess sometimes is about as razor sharp as a doughnut. But I will keep working on it...
Many thanks!
Guye
Last edited by Guye Pennington on Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guye W. Pennington

J Duncan of Sketraw
Site Admin

Post by J Duncan of Sketraw » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:17 pm

If you get realy stuck Guye give me a nod and I will see what I can do
Slaintè

J Duncan of Sketraw
Site Admin

Post by J Duncan of Sketraw » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:27 am

OK Guye I have put the images into your post for you although they are all together
Slaintè

Guye Pennington
AR Registered

Thank you!

Post by Guye Pennington » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:14 am

Thank you SO much, John! I owe you one (or is that three?)!! :)
Many thanks,
Guye
Guye W. Pennington

David Wooten
AR Reg. & IHS Member

Bookplate Artist

Post by David Wooten » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:34 pm

I would like to point out some excellent bookplate artists, several of whom are members of The Society of Heraldic Arts (http://www.heraldic-arts.com - I am a member and handle their website as well). You may find links to each artist on the Society's site (under the Artists tab), as well as several who have their own independent sites:

- Daniel de Bruin (a Dutch artist who does amazing ex libris work - I handle his separate website as well at www.heraldicermine.com)
- Kevin Arkinstall
- Richard Crossett
- Gordon Macpherson
- John Ferguson

There are also a number of very talented artists listed on my own site at www.neoheraldry.com
David Robert Wooten
Executive Director
THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF HERALDRY
1836 Ashley River Road, Suite 396
Charleston, SC 29407-4817
Fax (904) 216-7403
dwooten@americancollegeofheraldry.org
http://www.americancollegeofheraldry.org

Return to “Heraldic Art”