What are the latest developments in Scottish heraldry?

Acquiring armorial bearing, international heraldic authorities and assuming of arms.
Guye Pennington
AR Registered

What are the latest developments in Scottish heraldry?

Post by Guye Pennington » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:58 am

Greetings, all! Has the Lord Lyon rendered a final verdict on the Baroness of Lag case? I am most interested in the outcome, and I have been lurking on the HSS forum a bit, but I haven't seen a definitive answer.

Also, I had a good friend whom I trust mention that arms granted by the Lord Lyon qualify as an untitled nobility or noblesse status and even says such on the LP. Does anyone have any information on where I could obtain official information on this? Any court cases I could look up on Lexis-Nexis?

Finally, may I ask the criteria these days to have a territorial designation? Lord Lyon is still recognizing these, correct? How are territorial designations passed intergenerationally?

Many thanks!
Guye W. Pennington
"Victory without honor is defeat."

Charles E. Drake
AR Reg. & IHS Member

Post by Charles E. Drake » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:38 pm

Dear Guye,

Although I am far from the best person to answer these questions, I will give them a shot.
Has the Lord Lyon rendered a final verdict on the Baroness of Lag case?

Not yet.
Also, I had a good friend whom I trust mention that arms granted by the Lord Lyon qualify as an untitled nobility or noblesse status and even says such on the LP.
Yes, that is true, although vast amounts of electronic ink have been spent on fora such as rec.heraldry and HSS about exactly what this means. I would suggest doing an archive search.
Does anyone have any information on where I could obtain official information on this? Any court cases I could look up on Lexis-Nexis?

No info about this.
Finally, may I ask the criteria these days to have a territorial designation? Lord Lyon is still recognizing these, correct? How are territorial designations passed intergenerationally?

I will defer to others.

Kind regards,

/Charles
Charles E. F. Drake
Numquam Captat Muscas
wyverngules.com

J Duncan of Sketraw
Site Admin

Re: What are the latest developments in Scottish heraldry?

Post by J Duncan of Sketraw » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:49 am

Guye Pennington wrote: Finally, may I ask the criteria these days to have a territorial designation? Lord Lyon is still recognizing these, correct? How are territorial designations passed intergenerationally?
Hi Guye, I don't know about what is required now, but assuming it has not changed since Feb 2006 (when my TD was recognised by LL), you would need to own land that was named and recorded as such and outwith a Burgh. The land would either need to have a substantial home on it or, support the building of home upon it (not a building plot). The land size would have to range in the region of 3-5 acres plus.

There also may be other criteria that would have to be taken into account in order to gain recognition from Lord Lyon. Likewise I am unsure if just simply buying a piece of named land of the required size would be enough now and you would have to check with Lyon Office regarding this.

My case may have been slightly different to some, as not only do I live on my TD but work the land and run my business from there also.

Territorial designations can be passed intergenerationally as my own son is 'of Sketraw younger'. However although the TD passes down the line of decent there is a set time before it becomes synonymous with the name ( I am unsure of the time period).

Slaintè
John A. Duncan of Sketraw

The Armorial Register - International Register of Arms
http://www.armorial-register.com

Guye Pennington
AR Registered

Post by Guye Pennington » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:09 pm

Thanks for the help, gentlemen!!

Warmly,
Guye
Guye W. Pennington
"Victory without honor is defeat."