The Armorial Register - International Register of Arms

  Subscribe to the Armorial Newsletter
THE ARMORIAL NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to The Armorial Newsletter
 for Registry and Heraldic & Genealogical News
  The Armorial Register - International Register of Arms
THE ARMORIAL REGISTER
International Register of Arms
Volume 1 & Volume 2
 
 

The Armorial Register - International Register of Arms - Wright, C.F.M.

International Register of Armorial Bearings (Coats of Arms)

 
THIS WEBSITE
Home
Search The Register
Register Your Arms
Feudal Lords & Barons
Armorial Shop-Store
Heraldic Artists
History of Heraldry
Advertising Program
Heraldic Authorities
Heraldic Societies
Useful Links
Registry News
Monthly Newsletter
Armorial Forum
AR on FaceBook
Contact
Site Map
ARMORIAL FAMILIES
The Crest of The Armorial Register - Click to see Full Achievement
 
 
 
Last Update: 25/09/2015
 

Web Design HCS

u2surf.net Web Design

Charles Ferguson Melville Wright

Registered: The International Register of Arms, 9th August 2015. Registration No. 0351 (Vol.2).

Arms: Sable on a Cheveron Argent three Spears Heads Gules in Chief two Unicorns Heads erased Argent armed and maned Or in Base on a Pile of the last issuant from the Cheveron a Unicorns Head erased Sable

Crest: An Unicorn's Head Argent erased and charged upon the Neck with three Spears heads cheveronwise Gules armed and crined Or.

Motto: Ad Rem (This is not included in the grant, but was adopted by John Wright of Lenton Hall and used by his descendants.)

Grant: 1825: Sir George Nayler, Garter, and Edmund Lodge, Norroy, to Samuel Wright of Gunthorpe, Nottinghamshire and the descendants of his grandfather Ichabod Wright.

The Arms of Charles Ferguson Melville Wright

The armiger has quoted the exact wording from his grant. The original crest granted in 1825was: Out of a Crescent Or a Unicorns Head Argent erased Gules armed and maned Gold. On 12th April 1845, a new crest was granted by Sir George Young, Garter, Joseph Hawker, Clarenceux, and Francis Martin, Norroy to Francis Wright Esq of Lenton Hall, Nottinghamshire and Osmaston Manor, Derbyshire, and Marcus Wright Esq HM Consul at Wiborg (then in the Grand Duchy of Finland)and, as a direct descendant of Francis Wright (son of John Wright, brother of the grantee) the armiger bears this newly granted crest with the original arms.

The relationship between the two crests came about because the arms the armigerís family were using before the official grant had a crest of just a unicornís head erased. There was a lot of silver etc and they didn't like the crescent. The new grant looked much more like the old one, and the spearsí heads from the chevron on the arms were preferred. The main difference when the arms were granted was the addition of the pile and a black unicornís head, previously Argent like those in chief and with no pile. It a family joke that, as they were a family of bankers, a 'pile of gold' was appropriate!

The original documentation held by the family has a number of pencil marks which are thought to be an instruction to an engraver or heraldic painter, they mention putting the unicorn in profile, less blood and smaller crescent. Those cousins who benefited from the terms of the 1825 grant of arms, but are not descend from Francis Wright (he of the 1845 crest- his brother had no issue) use the crescent crest. This can be seen in Carlton Street in Nottingham as you enter into No1 Lloyds, now a Wetherspoons Pub, previously Wrights bank! Here the crest can be seen over the door and amongst the foliage of the capitals of the columns.

 
 

Copyright © The Armorial Register Limited 2006 -2015

 

Register your Arms - International Armorial Register

Search By Surname

 
A B C D E F G H I J
K L M N O P Q R S
T U V W X Y Z

 

NEED AN HERALDIC ARTIST?

Contact us for

Further Information

 

The Armorial Bearings of Charles Ferguson Melville Wright